Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Pat Robertson Told Me to Love my Neighbor

…well, actually, he didn’t.
But now I feel it’s more important than ever, as a Christian, to show compassion without judgment. It doesn’t matter to me what color a person’s skin is, or what their culture is, or what I think they believe. I’ve always felt it was Christian to help people, and un-Christian to judge them. If you judge someone, you’d darn well better know your words are straight from God himself! (Judge not, lest you be judged – Matthew 7)

By helping people, I don’t mean handing cash to an alcoholic so he or she can get another drink. It’s important to find ways to help people out of the hole they’re in, even if they dug it themselves.
As a Christian, I won’t argue over a statement made by another Christian. Let’s just say he doesn’t speak for all of us. In fact, I won’t judge him either. I disagree, but I won’t waste my time on it. I’m in no place to judge anyone; even Pat. I’m no theologian, and I'm certainly no prophet.

I’ll just put my money where my mouth is. I hope you do the same. The people of Haiti are in great need right now.
This is one way to help: https://community.elca.org/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?pid=538

(Jesus,after telling the story of the good Samaritan:) "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"
The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."

Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise." Luke 10: 36-37

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him. ~ Martin Luther King

Peace, love & compassion

No comments:

Post a Comment