Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Zig-zag Path to Heaven

Matthew 7:13 says "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it."

I have to admit; I don’t like this verse. I want to think everybody’s going to get to heaven somehow-or-other. (I know there are people who do believe that.) On the other hand, I don’t believe the road is a tightrope, either. God loves us, and He allows us to make mistakes – even big ones – if we’re moving in the right direction! The way is narrow, but it’s not a knife edge. A loving God wouldn’t be trying to get us to trip up and fail!

The gate is narrow, but there is an unlimited number of tickets. No one – NO ONE – who enters will be turned away.

In fact, there is only one way to avoid heaven: Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. In Mark 3:29, The Pharisees accused Jesus of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. There are other verses, all aimed at the religious leaders, who were in a place of authority and were deliberately and continually trying to discredit Jesus. (Note: This has nothing to do with sex!)

Want to know how stay out of heaven? If that’s what you want, deliberately turn your back on God and reject Him. He won’t force you in. (This is my belief. I am not a theologian, so if you want to know more, consult more knowledgeable sources.)

The path I take isn’t straight. (It’s probably fairly narrow, as I’d be considered a “prude” by the world-at-large.) Instead, my path zigs and zags, circles back upon itself and stops for periods of time. Yes, I am a follower of Jesus; but maybe a poor one. At my best I follow Him closely, read my Bible, spend lots of time in prayer, tell my kids I love them, and do good things. At my worst, I pout, ignore Jesus altogether, say mean things to the people I love the most, and walk right by people who are in need. I doubt God’s existence sometimes, too. (Oh, I’ve done some pretty un-Christian things in the past. None-o-your-business what. That’s the past. I’m forgiven.)

Am I a good Christian? All I can say is, “I try.” If I said anything else, I’d be lying. I’m not worried about whether I’m going to heaven, not because I’m any better than anyone else, but because I trust God. I’m not pointing at people I think aren’t going to heaven because I DON’T KNOW.

Want to go through the narrow gate? Just go through it! Point yourself in the right direction and try not to worry. Here's how: ask God for help. If you're facing Him, you're already going the right way!

Peace, Love, Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment