Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Third View on the "Gay Issue."

I've decided it’s time for me to come out of the closet. This is really hard, because I haven't spoken to another person with my problem. (I feel so alone.)
See… I'm gay-neutral. There, I said it. I just don't think my opinion of gays really matters. It seems like every other person on this earth feels the need to LOUDLY voice his or her personal opinion. I don't. My opinion about your personal life (Is it a sin? Is it a choice?) doesn't matter.
I'm afraid that by my silence I've given the wrong impression. Because I'm an environmentalist, people might think I'm ultra-liberal and therefore pro-gay.
Because I'm a Christian, People might think I'm ultra conservative and anti-gay.
I'm neither. I'm pro-love.
Since I'm gay-neutral, I am in favor of legalizing gay marriage. It’s not up to me to decide if two people who love each other should be married. Why should I decide?
Look around. Some of these couples have been together for decades. They're living their lives, keeping jobs, sometimes raising children, whether I acknowledge it or not. Anti-gay laws do nothing whatsoever to promote my "family values." In the state where I live, legal gay marriage has flip-flopped from illegal to legal back to illegal, and in my house I couldn't tell the difference.
I do have one thing to say, though:
I am passionately, vehemently, anti-hate, anti-bullying, anti-holier-than-thou.
Some people would say this isn’t the Christian way to believe. Wrong. I believe this way BECAUSE I am a Christian. Jesus, when He said "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone" (John 8:7) meant that no one should bully another person. No one should oppress another person. Ever. For any reason.
This is an issue I am not neutral on!

No comments:

Post a Comment