Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Nothing to be Thankful For

I have a confession to make. I really did not feel thankful on Thanksgiving. I had everything ready – a big, yummy meal, including mashed potatoes, yams, olives, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and of course plenty of pie. I go for the whole "Norman Rockwell" thing; you know, the picture-perfect happy family around the big table, Mom serving a gigantic turkey, etc.

But it didn't work out that way. Someone had to be with in-laws, someone changed plans, and someone got sick and couldn't come. Those of us who were left were a bit grumbly about it not being Thanksgiving if it was "just us."
I went through the motions. I even prayed prayers of thanks. But I really felt… well, grumpy. This wasn’t the big happy family gathering I always envision. It was just the same old family I sit down with every evening. Where's the "holiday" in that?

Then, as we ate pie, a couple of us got silly. We laughed a lot and traded good-natured insults. It was fun.
A few days later, we visited those who had been sick, and those who’d had other obligations, ate leftover pie, and played Wii. We had fun.
We’re not a "Norman Rockwell" family, I guess. We’re more "Pablo Picasso." And that's not at all bad.

I have a lot to be thankful for.

Peace, Love and Thanks. Lots of thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment