Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Proof that God Exists

I’ve seen the argument all over the internet:

"I can prove that God exists."
"No you can’t."
"I can prove that God doesn’t exist."
"You can’t prove that God exists/doesn't exist."
"Yes I can."

Then comes the "proof." The proof is usually something scientific, like the big bang or cells dividing and turning into humans. There it is; PROOF!

But, no. It’s proof to one person, but not to the other... Neither person sees what is SO CLEAR to the other person, and the argument goes on.
Well, I have “proof” that God exists, but here’s the problem; it’s inside my head. I can’t take it out and show it to you. In fact, it’s not actual proof at all. It’s faith. I can tell you about my faith, I can demonstrate my faith, but I can’t give you my faith, and therefore it’s not proof.
To me, when I look at a tree and I believe it was made by God, that’s all the proof I need. When I see a baby born, when I see a person forgive someone who hurt them badly; that’s proof of God’s presence. When I spend time in prayer, and an idea comes to me, or I feel a sense of peace that I can’t explain...
...but that’s it right there! I can’t explain it! No matter how much I want to, I can’t transfer that feeling of peace to another person, (not by myself,) especially if that person is looking not for peace, but for PROOF.

In fact, as soon as I see "Show me proof..." I think, here's someone who doesn't want to hear what I'd have to say anyway. It's a set-up. They'll wait for me to say something, then attempt to shoot it down. Then they can feel smarter than me, I guess.

I'm not worried. My goal isn't to feel smart. This is faith, as defined by the Bible: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:2 (italics added.)

So... God doesn't want to give us proof! He wants us to have faith. Why? Because proof is the illusion that you're in control of your world. And He wants us to put our faith in Him.

That's scary. It's like getting on a roller coaster ride and putting your faith in the engineers. It's like getting in an airplane and putting your faith in the pilot. It's like doing what you know is right, even in a confusing world, with people all around trying to pull your faith right out from under you. It means YOU'RE NOT IN CONTROL!

Everyone has faith in something. Think of a chair. When you sit down, you have faith that something solid will be under you, even if you’re not looking as you lower your body. (Ever have a chair pulled out from under you as you’re sitting down? I have. Believe me, we all use faith as we sit down. It’s a strange sensation to suddenly lose faith in a chair!)

Are you waiting for proof before you believe? Read the verse from Hebrews again. In fact, read the whole chapter, Hebrews 11. Go ahead. There’s not one mention of PROOF. It’s all about FAITH.
When it comes down to it, faith is a choice. (or it wouldn’t be faith, now would it?) The Bible talks a lot about faith but not about proof. Why? Faith is what God wants of us. Go ahead, stop looking at the roller coaster and defining physics. Stop looking at the chair and wondering if it will hold you. Get on and have experience it.

Try this: Stir some sugar into a glass of water. You can’t see the sugar. It still looks like water. There’s no proof that it’s there; until you taste it. So if what you really (really) want is to experience God, stop asking for PROOF. Try Him for yourself.

Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.

Peace, Love and Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment