Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

This Story Has a Happy Ending

I watched a friend dying yesterday.
As I write this, I assume she's still alive because I haven’t gotten a call otherwise, but I assume she will "pass on to the other side" as I’ve heard it said, any day – any moment. I hope she goes soon. Her breathing was labored, she can't swallow and therefore can't eat, and she's clearly in pain or discomfort. She may understand what people say to her. When I told her hello, she groaned and briefly focused her eyes. But I didn't know what to say next. How are you? ... I hope you get better? Finally, after telling her briefly what I'd done recently, I told her "I know you'll feel better soon."
This lady has had a long and interesting life, so it's time for her to go. I have no doubt of that. But does her story have a happy ending? In this world, it doesn't. Her last years were frustrating. She used to be very active. She loved to hike. As she aged, she lost her balance and her ability to walk far. She lived in a neighborhood she didn't like, she became house-bound, and she grew bitter. Not a happy ending.

A few years ago, I became somewhat obsessed with the end of life. I realized that every life has an unhappy ending; either quick and painful, as in a car accident, or long and painful, as in cancer. Not a pretty picture. I didn’t tell anyone about my thoughts (what a downer!) but I dwelt on it a lot and I became depressed. After a while, I realized how pointless this was, and through prayer and re-thinking, I snapped out of it. It hasn't quite left me, this worry about how I’ll go, but I don't obsess on it any more.
Today, while praying, I realized something. My life won’t have an unhappy ending. In fact, it will have a happy ending; I'm sure of that. After all, I'm going to meet Jesus! Will I feel pain as I die? I don't know; I might. But there's nothing I can do about it, (except live a healthy lifestyle) so why dwell, on it?
Does my friend's life have a happy ending? I don't know. She went to church, but I don't – can't – know what her relationship with Jesus is. I'm in no place to judge anyone else, and I don't try.

Does your life have a happy ending? Only you know that... or maybe you don't. If you want to, you can re-write the ending, you know. You can do it at any time. Say hello to Jesus, or get reacquainted with him if you haven't talked to him recently. He is willing and eager to forgive those who come to him; at any time, young or old, even if they've lived a terrible life, (Luke 15:11-32), and even as they're dying. ...Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:42-43

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
Revelation 3:20

Peace, Love and Happy Endings

No comments:

Post a Comment