Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Am I “Holier Than Thou?”

I hope not. I mean – don’t get me wrong – I want to be as holy as I can, but if I ever say or do something to belittle another person (any other person!) I am not being holy. Not long ago I saw a Facebook Status, (for those who don’t know, that’s a message you write at the top of your Facebook page, for all to see.)
“Jesus is Lord – Please pass this on – 90% of all Christians are afraid to post this as their status.”
What? What? I immediately felt a quandary; if I don’t post this as my status too, I’m not a good Christian, right? It means I'm afraid, and that's not good. I'd better post it as my satus.
That passed pretty quickly, as I saw how manipulative the post was. What this person is declaring is that she’s in the top ten percent of Christians, because of what she types on a Facebook page. Who is this glorifying? Jesus? I don't think so.
Be careful that you glorify the Lord, not yourself. Aim to lift people up. Don’t drag them down.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 1 Peter 5:6

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment