Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Let Go of the Wheel

There's an old bumper sticker saying "God is My Copilot." It always struck me as sort of backwards. Shouldn't God be in control? Shouldn't I be in the passenger seat? After all, He's the one with a plan for my life, right? I'm just praying and following his lead.
Well that's not exactly true. Too often, when faced with a choice, I say a quick prayer, then I do or say what I was going to do or say anyway. I've got both hands firmly on the wheel, I'm looking straight ahead and I'm not gonna change course for anyone; even God. (I say this I because I want to admit it. If I didn't I'd be a hypocrite, and we don't want any hypocrites in church!) The truth is I think my course is the right one and the other courses are--well--wrong. It's human nature.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

My life is a constant battle to turn myself over to God; words AND actions. That’s how I can best honor Him, and that’s how I can best allow others to see Him through me. How do I do this? Well, usually, I pray, pray and pray some more. When I open my bible, I pray. When somebody asks me my opinion... or gives me theirs... I pray. When I say pray, I mean I talk to God, then I listen. (Not for voices in my head!) I honestly try to weigh both sides of every argument. He might speak to me through the Bible, He might speak to me through another person, or he might speak to me through a thought that pops into my head. I try to be open to anything.

"Keep an open mind, but don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out." Richard Feynman

I'm sure of my faith in God. I use the Apostle's Creed and the Bible as my starting point. Beyond that... my mind is never completely "made up," because that wouldn't leave room for God to talk to me.

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” - Hebrews 12:2

...Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. - 1 Kings 19:11-13

I hope I’m at least partly successful.

Let go; Let God.

No comments:

Post a Comment