Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11; a New American Holiday

Nine years have passed. So what do we do with this new holiday? We look back, of course; “Never forget.” We mustn’t forget those who died in this tragedy, and we must be sensitive to their families and loved ones. I remember where I was when I heard. I was stunned for a whole week after; I went through my days as if I were in a fog. And I didn’t even personally know anyone who was killed.

It’s a patriotic holiday, of course. The World Trade Center and the Pentagon signify what America stands for – freedom, strength, democracy, and capitalism. America was attacked! The extremists who orchestrated this made it clear that they feel American values are wrong.
As an American, I believe September 11th is a day to be grateful for where I live, who I am and what I believe in.

To some it’s also a religious holiday of sorts. The people inside those buildings and airplanes were mostly Christians, and those who murdered them were Muslims. To some, opening a Muslin center and mosque is nothing less than a slap in the face. I don't know if it's a good idea, but only because it might be a target for more hatred. Time will tell what happens if it's built. I do disagree vehemently with those who think the attack was orchestrated by anything other than extremists.
As a Christian, I believe September 11th is a day to pray to the God I believe in, and respect those who don’t.

I hope September 11th will become a day in which we attempt to open lines of communication with people who are different from ourselves. Extremists on both sides of the issue will continue to yell and burn things. The rest of us should talk together and try to bring peace to our hurting world.

As a human being, I want September 11th to be a day of hope.

Peace, Love and Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment