Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Is America a Christian Country?

Some Christians like to think so. I’m not sure why. Maybe they’ve gotten us mixed up with Israel from the Old Testament. Maybe they feel more comfortable thinking everyone around them feels the same way they do. Maybe they’re afraid. I’m not sure.
What I do know is, AMERICA is NOT a CHRISTIAN COUNTRY! (Ooh! Blasphemy!) Some of our founding fathers were Christian, and some were not. Jesus isn’t mentioned in our beloved documents. (The Constitution prevents the Federal government from making a "law respecting an establishment of religion", and guarantees the free exercise of religion. How is that Christian?) If 76% of Americans are Christians, what about the rest? Are they not Americans?
Is America a great country? You bet! One of the best. I’m happy and proud to live here.
But...
I’m not wrapped in a flag. I’m at the foot of the cross. I’m a Christian first, and an American second. That means I respect strangers and friends who worship Allah, who worship other gods, and who don’t worship at all. I don’t assume they’re evil, I don’t assume they’re un-American, and I don’t pretend they don’t exist, either. I do know God loves them as much as He loves me. He said so.

"He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." 1 John 2:2
"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
'The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

There’s the other side of this; of course. "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23 But that’s God’s job, not mine. My job is to tell people the Good News. What's the Good News? "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24


In the wake of 9-1-1, we’ve become more xenophobic than ever, and we’ve made some pretty huge mental leaps; like, for instance, all Muslims are terrorists. (That’s like saying all Christians bomb abortion clinics.)
But if God wants them to know Him, than so should we. I dare you to make friends with an American of another faith. Don’t preach, don’t condemn, and don’t assume they’re going to hell. Don’t assume you’re superior, either. God loves both of you. Just let Jesus shine through you. He’ll do the rest.

Peace, Love, Coexist

No comments:

Post a Comment