Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Obama and Grace

When asked why he’s a Christian, (has another president undergone this kind of questioning to “prove” his faith?) Obama said only one thing I disagree with: “...we have Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, and that their own path to grace is one that we have to revere and respect as much as our own. And that's part of what makes this country what it is.”

Article: Obama 'Christian by choice'

While I disagree with his statement “path to grace,” I agree that we must respect all people even those of different religions, or no religion. That’s what makes us Americans; not insisting they agree with us.

As for “paths to grace,” the closest I believe is that God doesn’t send good people to hell. Rather, I believe “good” non-Christians don’t know Him YET. If people are striving to do the right thing as they see it, they will meet Him face-to-face, they will recognize Him, and they will run into His arms. I can’t believe anything different; “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” 1 John 4:8

Do I believe there are other “paths to grace?” No. Being a good person doesn’t get you in. “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6 But He does accept people at any point in their lives, even at the very end. That’s why the robber on the cross saw Jesus in paradise. That’s why the Prodigal son got a feast when he came home. That’s why I know that, no matter how much I mess up, I know in my heart that Jesus loves me. He’s not looking the other way – He knows I’m trying, and he knows I fail. (Not cheap grace – “I’ve just live for myself and change at the last second.” Pfff. God is smarter than that.)

Grace is the coolest thing about Christianity! “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9 I couldn't work my way to heaven, or to paradise or nirvana or anywhere else. I'm just too flawed.

As an American, I respect all people of all faiths.
As a Christian, I invite you to meet Jesus.

One more thing: Barack Obama is my president right now. I respect him. If he says he’s a Christian, he’s a Christian.

Peace, Love, Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment