Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Wacky Christian Races

Nowadays, some Christians spend a lot of effort criticizing others' beliefs. I thought I'd help out to make it easier. Here's a handy list to use when you meet other Christians, so you'll know if they're really Christians:


  • Do you believe all the right things?

  • Do you believe the Bible is literal/inerrant/infallible?

  • Do you read only from the correct translation of the Bible?

  • Do you believe in creationism?

  • Do you vote correctly?

  • Are you rich/poor enough to qualify?

  • Are you born again, and can you recite your conversion story?

  • Do you believe America is a Christian country, and that all our our founding fathers were Christians?

  • Do you believe in the American constitution?

  • Do you fully understand and agree with the entire Bible?

  • Do you always obey the entire Bible?

  • Are you always happy?

  • Do you never feel doubt?

  • Most important: Do you believe just as I do?

Hey, wait... Is that my job as a Christian? To decide if you are good enough? Is it your job to make certain I make the cut? Maybe we should have trials to find out if those around us pass muster. Maybe we should hold them under water to find out if they float. Then we'll really know if our neighbors are good enough for us. (Hey Christians: This isn't like those old "Wacky Races" cartoons. You will not earn points with God by knocking other Christians out of the race, flattening their tires, or injuring them.)


I noticed one thing about the above list, and it is taken from conversations I've seen online by Christians; it's mostly about believing the right way, but not about action; not about helping the widows and the orphans, for instance. "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27


The Bible has something to say about this attitude:


"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3-5


Oh, and one other thing... "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone..." John 8:7

P.S. In case it isn't obvious, the above list is completely tongue-in-cheek. I believe every person, Christian or not, is on a journey, and it isn't my place to judge them. It's only my place to share the Good News. (Romans 3:23-24)

Peace, Love, Acceptance

No comments:

Post a Comment