Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays.

Listen carefully… Somewhere in the world, people are wishing each other “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas!” Or maybe even (gasp) “Season’s Greetings!” As Christians, what should we do?

(Yawn.)

Really? Is this really something we need to get worked up over? Is hearing the words “Happy Holidays” some sort of persecution? If so, I’m not feeling it. I’m sorry. I just can't see Jesus even bothering with this. I could imagine the Pharisees getting uptight about it, though.

Jesus said, “…But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

“Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others. Matthew 23:2-7

Here’s the thing. It’s easier to make a fuss over saying the “right” words: (“in God we trust,” “one nation under God,”) than it is to actually sacrifice by giving our hard-earned money to poor people. But that’s what Jesus tells us to do. ("Go, sell your possessions and give your money to the poor ... then come, follow me." Matthew 19:27) Do you really think you’ll get brownie points in heaven for speaking out against those who wish each other happy holidays? I think God sees right through that.

I say “Merry Christmas” to most of my friends, Christian, agnostic and atheist. I say “Happy Hanukah” to my Jewish friends. (Note: I don’t celebrate Hanukah in my house. That doesn’t keep me from accepting that others do. If you don’t feel comfortable “approving” of another person’s holiday, don’t do it.) I wish my Muslim friends a blessed Ramadan, and we've talked about the “real” meaning of their holidays and my holidays. (Guess what? It’s been an eye-opener. I’ve had to explain that Christian holidays are not all about mythical characters like Santa Claus, mass-consumption and over-the-top decorations. Is that really what we want people to think?)

Let’s not be like the Pharisees; making up unnecessary laws just to weigh people down. Let’s preach the real Good News. Better yet, let’s live the Good News!

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

Peace, Love, Joyous Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment