Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent - More Than a Time to Shop




Today is the first day of advent. From the Latin word adventus meaning "coming," it's a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas.

I hope we can all come a little closer to the real meaning of Christmas. Decorations, carols, candy and trees are all fine, but not if they take over completely; and definitely not if Christmas becomes the season of stress and debt! Maybe we can spend a little less $$$ on shiny things and toys, and think about our loved ones in a new light. In addition to buying lots of things for people who already have things, let's share time with and for them. Then we can share some of God's bounty with people who are really in need.

I've linked to one organization, Advent Conspiracy, that promotes a new and different way to celebrate: http://www.adventconspiracy.org/


Peace, Love, Sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment