Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

"Yes, but..."

These words are right from Jesus' mouth. He was talking to a large group of people "who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases."

Luke 6:27 "But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."

Ouch! This is extreme! Do you do everything Jesus asks of you? (I know I don't!) How does this fit in with your life? Your philosophy? Your political views?

Once I was approached by a homeless lady who admired my coat. When I smiled and walked away, she got huffy. Did Jesus want me to give it to her? I may never know.

As for turning the other cheek... Yeah, right. like that's gonna happen.

So why did he say it? Apparently he wants us to willingly give more than what's asked of us. Did he really mean it? If you read this and you even think "Yes, but..." maybe you're doin' it wrong.

Peace, Love, Give

No comments:

Post a Comment