Stumbling Through Life

My photo
Please, God – Don’t strike me with lightning! I’m just trying to figure this world out. Sometimes I think and say things that are stupid. But sometimes, too, You tell me things that are so meaningful that I simply have to write them down. This blog is nothing more than a diary of some of these thoughts.

Friday, November 26, 2010

A Lamp to my Feet

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105

Have you ever gone for a walk on a very dark night? Be careful when you do; you might stub your toe. You could fall and hurt yourself. And if you don't have a light, you will end up going well out of your way.

Life is dark. Lots of the time it's hard to know where we're going. There are many distractions to lead us out of our way; money, people, disappointments. I'll be honest. For me, it's hard even to walk in a straight line! My life is a full of zig-zags and backtracks, off and on God's road. Sometimes I can't see which way to go, and I've been a Christian for a long time!

What gets me off-track? Doubt, (usually caused when I listen to politically charged Christians with whom I disagree.) Money, (or rather, lack of it.) My own desires (I can get pretty distracted.) In other words, I'm not looking at Jesus; I'm looking at the world.

We expect God to be a floodlight. And because He’s not, we're disappointed in Him, or we assume that He simply doesn't exist. But He is a light to our feet… we can see just far enough to step forward without tripping, and no more. That's all He's offered us, so wishing for more, (or worse - pretending), doesn't help.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. Matthew 7:13

So where is this gate? There's even a lot of argument among Christians about exactly where that road is! Do I need to be baptized? Do I need to follow the Latin mass? Personally, I believe that all I need to do is to love Jesus and to keep trudging along. I believe that the path is pretty easy to see... if I'm looking at Jesus.

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 1 Corinthians 13:12

I think God gives us each a flashlight. We can see, but only a few steps ahead. If we keep our light aimed at Jesus - not at the world - we'll make it.
The question is – do you have your flashlight? Does it have fresh batteries? Is it pointed in the right direction? (Here's a hint - spend time reading the Bible, and pray. Prayer includes listening.)

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

If you do this, you'll be fine.
Peace, Love, Light

1 comment: